How To Stay Active In Winter
Halle Jennett, Freshmen
As the temperature begins to drop, and the fall days turn to winter, it becomes more difficult to get daily exercise in. Staying inside, watching a movie, and drinking hot chocolate sounds like a much better choice than doing anything outside. But, there are some easy, enjoyable ways to stay active over these colder months.
- Rake leaves - One of the best ways to stay active in late fall time is raking leaves. There's a HUGE abundance of them, and it can also be a fun activity to do with your friends or family! Once you start raking you’ll forget all about the cold weather and hopefully jump in some piles of leaves too!
- Walking up steps - This may seem a little obvious, but taking the steps is a great way to keep in shape in the winter. Climbing the stairs helps to strengthen all your core muscles, so always try to take the steps if you have the option to.
- Shopping - Shopping is an excellent way to get moving while it’s cold outside. First of all who doesn’t love shopping! With Christmas and Black Friday just around the corner it’s a perfect excuse to go shopping and spend all your money. And, when you shop, especially at the mall, you’re doing A LOT of walking, and carrying heavy bags!
- Go sledding - As soon as that first snow happens, I know where I’ll be! This is another super fun activity you can do with family and friends. Between dragging the sled up the hill and trudging through the snow, sledding is great exercise, especially if you plan on taking a long nap afterwards.
- Go to the gym or at home workouts - Whether you go to a local gym or stay in the comfort of your house, just plain out exercising is super easy to do inside at home! With this you can choose whether or not you want to workout your legs, stomach, arms, etc. !