Rosa Amato, Sophomore
After New Years, life can get kind of dull, but that doesn't mean your hair has to. Make your hair as shiny as your New Years party dress with just three simple, at-home remedies for silky, shiny hair.
Egg Yolk Hair Mask
You will need: two egg yolks, olive oil, water, a pot and a stove, and a container for any left overs.
First, take your two eggs and remove the whites from each so you are left with just the yolks. You can sift your eggs to remove the whites. Take a tablespoon of olive oil and add it to the egg yolk and stir for about a minute. Add one cup of water to this mixture and stir until the ingredients are nicely blended.
Put your mixture into a pot and place it on your heated stove top. Stir continuously until the mask becomes warm, not hot. Don't want to burn your hair! After this you can place it into a container and store in the fridge.
*This mask will go bad and rot if not stored in a refrigerator.*
• First wash your hair how you normally would.
• Once you are done washing your hair take your egg yolk mask (It should be warm. Be sure to reheat over the stove if using refrigerated mixture.) and place it onto the ends of your towel-dried hair.
• Let the mask sit in your ends until your hair drys (does not need to dry completely), once your hair is dry rinse it with water. Do not shampoo!
• After you've rinsed you can blow dry your hair fully and enjoy smooth, shiny locks.
Greek Yogurt Treatment
You will need: a hair tie and plain* Greek yogurt (you can use regular yogurt, but I've found that Greek works just a little bit better.)
*Must be plain, if you use flavored you'll be adding extra sugars and food coloring into your hair, which you do not want.
• Spread the yogurt throughout your DRY hair and then tie your hair up in a ponytail or bun.
• Leave the yogurt in your hair for 20-30 minutes or until it has hardened.
• Next, shower and wash your hair out with shampoo and conditioner. Towel or blow dry your hair and voila!
Avocado and Honey Mask
You will need: a ripe avocado, organic honey, and a bowl.
Cut your avocado. Remove pit and scoop out the insides and add them to your bowl. Add one tablespoon of your organic honey and mix the ingredients together.
• Take the mixture and apply it all over your hair and let sit in your hair for 20-minutes.
• After 20-minutes, rinse your hair and let air dry.
Use any remaining avocados for guacamole (you'll need it to survive midterms).
What came first, the chicken or the egg yolk hair mask?
Courtesy of cbc.ca